Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Christmas gifts are still coming our way

The gift-giving holiday season may be behind us, but the gifts are still coming our way.  UPS just dropped off a box containing the new Autobiography of Mark Twain that, according to the gift-giver, has been a backorder since early December.  One can never have too much of Twain.  I know he didn’t want us to label his books Classic, which he defined as “a book which people praise and don’t read.”  Hemingway said “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called ‘Huckleberry Finn,’” although one can always argue that it is Tom Sawyer, not Huck Finn.

Last week a Santa Claus in plain clothes stopped by our house to surprise Katy with another gardening book, Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte, a revised & updated version.  We’ll learn all the secrets of a successful gardening.  Spring, you better hurry up, we can hardly wait.

In December I also bought myself Christmas gifts at Half-Price Books: a two-volume set of Mark Twain: Collected Tales, Sketches, Speeches, and Essays by the Library of America and a classic bound Mark Twain: Selected Works, in which one can find many of his most famous works.  If you look at the prices I paid, you’ll know why I frequented the Half-Price Books for treasure hunt.

This is how I write my Thank You notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment