http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQL5JsbTq4
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Oh Susanna by Stephen Foster (premiered in Pittsburgh in 1847)
I would be remiss if I fail to mention Stephen
Foster while talking about American music or more appropriately its
history. We have every right to claim
him as a Pittsburgher, even though many of his songs are stories of the
American South. He was born and buried
in Pittsburgh. His Memorial (see photo) sits in front
of the Cathedral of Learning Tower at the University of Pittsburgh;
it was also designed by Charles Klauder to accompany his Cathedral of
Learning. Foster also briefly attended Washington and Jefferson College at Washington, PA, a town 20 miles away from us.
I sang Oh
Susanna in my school days in Taiwan. It is a story of “I came from Alabama” with a
banjo, to “I soon will be in New Orleans” to look for his girl friend, Susanna,
and that leads some to say it is a Confederate song, but it is an all American
folk song in every sense. It had its
premiere in a Pittsburgh ice cream parlor in 1847. It was
written for a men’s social club of Foster, so here is Oh Susana by a Men’s choir,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQL5JsbTq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQL5JsbTq4
Labels:
music
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment