Monday, February 13, 2012

Lincoln and Dixie (I Wish I was in Dixieland)

Speaking of “Oh Shenandoah” was a Confederate song, it reminds me of the story that I read in Carl Sandburg’s Lincoln The War Years (Book IV).  On April 8, 1865 (the day before Robert Lee surrendered to Grant, practically ending the Civil War and six days before Lincoln was assassinated), Lincoln was sailing back to Washington D.C., after visiting General Grant at City Point, VA.  A military band came on board to the River Queen (the boat on which Lincoln and his entourage were sailing), Lincoln called for a playing of “Dixie” saying, “That tune is now federal property”.

The word ‘Dixie” means Southern United States, the song “Dixie” (or “I wish I was in Dixie”) was adopted as a de facto anthem of Confederacy, so Lincoln’s requested (點歌) this song surprised all present.  Sandburg wrote, “Lincoln wanted it to be a goodwill song of the reunited States.”

Lincoln also asked the band to play “Marseillaise” (French national anthem), as Chambrun (a French newspaper reporter) was with him.  In fact, Lincoln liked it very much, asked it be played twice.  Twinkling his eyes, Lincoln told Chambrun “You must come over to America to hear it.”


Over the years, I checked out Sandburg’s Lincoln (see photos) from the libraries numerous times; it has been out of print and there is no eBook version.  Thanks to Josephine’s 'daughterly' love, I am now the proud owner of these treasured books (I call them Bible of Lincoln biography books) as she managed to buy them from someone selling online.

I decided not to post any YouTube Dixie song, lest some may think it is too divisive; I simply use “Dixie” song to show who Lincoln was.   

No comments:

Post a Comment