Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Battle Hymn of the Republic in history

Being a history buff, I'll also talk history when it comes to music. About 15 years ago, some politically-correct minded Methodists wanted to remove the hymn of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” from the Hymn Book, citing it is too belligerent and militaristic for the benignant and magnanimous church.  I am so glad they didn’t have their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8

This song was first published in The Atlantic Monthly in early February 1862 (about this time of the year) during the height of the Civil War.  Julia Ward Howe converted a popular Union marching song (John Brown's Body) to it.  Three years ago on Lincoln’s 200th birthday I posted my personal Happy Birthday greeting at Sermo (a physician-only online site), it begins with,

Lincoln's funeral procession passing through New York City
“It was perfectly fitting that Carl Sandburg, then 81-year-old poet-biographer, who knew you well, spoke in the joint session of the Congress on your 150th birthday in 1959, and the Battle Hymn of the Republic was played by the US Army Band; your favorite song and lyric.  And I am sure you were very pleased with the occasion.”

Churchill first heard it when FDR took him to Christ Church, Alexandria, VA, on their way to Mount Vernon on the New Year Day of 1942.  Sitting on George Washington’s pew, they sang this song.  Churchill was so moved that he asked this song being sung on his own memorial service.  It was also sung during the memorial service for President Franklin Roosevelt at Westminster Abbey, upon Churchill’s request.

Churchill's coffin on Gun Carriage
I believe the hymn was also sung in the memorial services of Robert Kennedy and Reagan.  Such a beautiful and powerful song, singing it can rally the human spirit to fight in face of dire adversity such as Hitler’s menace. 

To sing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” in the State Funerals and memorial services of these great and noble men (see photos) is like what Apostle Paul declared in II Timothy 4:7, “I have fought the good fight. I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

FDR's funeral procession
Churchill's State Funeral at St. Paul's Cathedral
     

No comments:

Post a Comment