Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Grand March in Tannhauser is the runner-up to Beethoven's Ode to Joy

I do not like Wagner’s opera that much, I don’t know why, it is nothing to do with his anti-semitic writings, and the fact that he was Hitler’s idol doesn’t bother me.  But I like his libretto very much, he wrote libretto for all his operas.  

His Tannhauser is based on an ancient (13th century) German poems.  Some of the plots may not be logical in modern view.  The death of Princess Elizabeth at the end doesn’t make sense to me.


I actually like a Grand March in Act II.  A Singing Tournament to be held at the Music Hall. Marching music is playing while guests arriving, followed by chorus in exciting, joyful and exalted spirit.


Nothing can beat Beethoven’s Ode to Joy (Symphony No 9), but I’ll place this Grand March as the runner-up.


Joyfully we greet the noble hall,

where may art and peace alone linger ever,

and the joyous cry long ring out:


Wagner: Tannhäuser March (''Hail, Bright Abode'')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB-P6lqP76k


Tannhäuser: "Grand March"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT5Igmv8eow




No comments:

Post a Comment