Saturday, September 15, 2012

Two Christmas gifts: Benghaizi (to Churchill) and Savannah (to Lincoln)


It is sad and tragic that American ambassador and three other Americans had to die at Benghazi, Libya.  Since I write about history, not politics; this would be what I’ll say about Benghazi.  On December 24, 1941 (two days after he arrived at the White House), Churchill received two telegrams from General Auchinleck, the first one read, “it appears that enemy can no longer use Benghazi” and the second, “Royal Dragoons [of British Army] occupied Benghazi this morning.  The Army of the Nile sends you hearty greetings for Christmas.”

This is reminiscent to what happened on December 22, 1864 when Union General William T. Sherman arrived at Savannah, Georgia and sent Lincoln a message, “I beg to present you as a Christmas gift, the city of Savannah, . .”, to which Lincoln replied the day after Christmas, “Many, many thanks for your Christmas gift, the capture of Savannah.”

No comments:

Post a Comment