Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Founding fathers are founding gardeners

Last year I came across a book of “Founding gardeners” talking about our first four presidents (founding fathers) are all gardeners.  I believe the book was talking about the relationship about the gardening and the building of a country, I think it a bit over stretched.  A The New York Time Sunday Book Review article has kind words about the book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/books/review/book-review-founding-gardeners-by-andrea-wulf.html?_r=0

Joy went to a lecture on food and science in the hospital last night, the speaker was the White House pastry chef, who quoted Thomas Jefferson,

“No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden. . . . But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.”
We are not alone in following Jefferson’s footsteps, the First Lady, Michelle Obama has had a vegetable garden in the South Lawn of White House.  Give us five or ten years we may come up with a book like the First Lady did.

This link of The New York Times Sunday Book Review mentions her gardening book and many more,
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/books/review/michelle-obamas-american-grown-and-more.html?pagewanted=all

I read “Vegetable gardens may be good for our diets, but they’re even more important for our hearts and souls.” in the article; this is what I have been preaching that cultivating a flower/veggie garden is cultivating the mind.  We even have a sign in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment