Can you imagine that we have the
recordings of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, Second Inauguration, or Springfield
Farewell Address? My heart would be
heavy when I hear he said “I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever I may
return. . .”)
“You have sat too long for any good
you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In
the name of God, go!”
The above is what Oliver Cromwell
uttered in the House of Commons in Dissolution of Long Parliament in 1653. It
would be thrilled if this speech was recorded.
Leo Amery quoted this, also in the same House, trying to force
Chamberlain to step down as the Prime Minister in 1940. A very powerful speech.
I began to appreciate the
importance of oral history after reading and listening Jacqueline Kennedy’s
historic conversations on life with John F. Kennedy, interviews with Arthur
Schlesinger, Jr. The recording was done
a few months after JFK’s assassination. It
was released and published last year.
Listening to what she said, nearly 50 years later, makes one feel
history comes alive. Oral history is
more powerful and convincing, no concern that one may be misquoted.


No comments:
Post a Comment