Saturday, December 22, 2012

All the Presidents’ books: Jefferson and his revolutionary garden at Monticello




Knowing I am a history buff and read the Presidents, an office staff gave me John Meacham’s Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power yesterday.  I said we plan to visit Jefferson’s Monticello when the summer comes, mainly to see his garden.  Then two Amazon packages arrived today; one of them was A Rich Spot of Earth:  Thomas Jefferson’s Revolutionary Garden at Monticello.  It was from one of my daughters.

I begin to feel that there must have some sort of ‘conspiracy’ among my office staffs and my daughters, telling me to put down the can-not-put-down William Manchester and Paul Reid’s The Last Lion (the third volume of Manchester’s Churchill biography)—I have read 200 some pages, only 900 pages to go—and to leave Lincoln alone.  Several office staffs also gave me Barnes & Noble gift cards, saying they can tell what kind of books I’ll buy.  Geez, either my reading interest is too narrow or I am getting too predictable.


I only recently picked up JFK, who will have to compete with Jefferson for my time. Besides I may have to begin to defend FDR once I see Hyde Park on Hudson—the movie that is coming soon to the theater near us.



No comments:

Post a Comment