Thursday, December 6, 2012

Lincoln: Movie critic series No. 1

We went to see Steven Spielberg’s movie Lincoln the other day; the first time we stepped into the Crown Center Hollywood Theater at Washington, PA.  So I am not a ‘veteran’ movie critic, but I know the man of interest, or so I thought.

There are talks that this movie will teach the movie goers American history.  They must be kidding; with 15,000 books about Lincoln out there, how much one can learn about Abe (by the way, Lincoln didn’t like to be called Abe) in two and half hours?  Some say this may spurt the interest of reading Lincoln for the young men and women.  But, I didn’t see the young people in the theater; for the thirty some people in the theater, we seemed to be the “youngest”.

The movie opened on November 16 (it opened in 11 theaters on Nov. 9).  We went to see it December 1; in the beginning of the third week.  Let’s hope most young people have seen it.  As pf December 3 the box office sale was $83.6 million in the U.S. and Canada—a decent number for the historical drama—but certainly not quite a blockbuster.

Janice often reminds me not to write anything longer than a page, which is the limit most people can endure.  I’ll write a series of Lincoln in the name of movie critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment