Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Why I no longer sketch or doodle?

You may or may not know that, growing up (during my middle and high school days), I used to draw or sketch often.  I never learnt oil painting or water coloring; the only tool I had was a pencil or pen.  I recall drawing many movie stars, the likes of Montgomery Clift, James Dean, and Elizabeth Taylor.  I even drew comic strip, the one telling a story.

The only drawing I made (in Chicago) after coming to the States in 1971 was the vivacious Vivien Leigh that I used a pen.  The drawing surfaced 15-20 years ago, it was then partially faded, then it disappeared again, so did my skill—whatever little I had.

Seeing Katy has some gift of painting, our daughters often asked me why I haven’t picked up the pencil or pen to draw or doodle again.  You’ll see the answer in this Pickels comic strip: I am afraid Ben or Gabby will like it (they may be keen to spot a talent), telling me it is cute, wanting to put it on the fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment