There was
a terrible school bus accident at Chattanooga, Tennessee two days ago; my heart
go out to the victims, and my mind go back to today (November 23) in 1863 when
the last battle began in Chattanooga, Tennessee (two battles took place here
previously). Many Union generals
participated here, the likes of Grant, Thomas and Sherman. About 100,000 soldiers involved.
Falling
sick after returning from Gettysburg, Lincoln, lay in bed, received the victory
telegraph. The Union Army victory set
the stage for the Atlanta Campaign (one should at least know the “Atlanta
burning” scene in the move Gone with the
Wind, and the Gate Way to the Deep South opened up) and Sherman’s March to
the Sea.
General
Thomas is also from Virginia, unlike Robert Lee, he decided to stay and fight
for the Union. There is a Thomas Circle
in Washington, D.C. I always thought about
him wherever I drove through this circle.
Lincoln
asked Francis Blair Sr. to talk to Lee, asking him to take the command of the
army; Lee declined. Lee wrote to General Scott, “Save in the defense of my
native States I never again desire to draw my sword. . . . If Virginia stands
by the old Union, so will I. But if she secedes (though I do not believe in
secession as a constitutional right, nor that there is sufficient cause for
revolution) then I will still follow my native State with my sword, and, if
need be, with my life.” Lee basically said, “Regardless, if Virginia goes, I
go!”
Jefferson
David, returning to Richmond, proclaiming his faith in Bragg and his army, “Bragg
is to bag Grant at Chattannooga as Grant had bagged Pemberton at Vicksburg.”
Carl
Sandburg wrote, “Ten thousand animals in a few weeks had perished hauling rations
overland to Chattanooga before a river route was opened”
We tend to
forget the animals are as much the victims of the war as humans are.
No comments:
Post a Comment