Saturday, July 28, 2012

Shakespeare had something to say for all occasions including the Olympic Open Ceremony

Shakespeare was at the opening ceremony of 2012 Olympic Summer Game.  Using his words in The Tempest, the British boasts the beauty of their Isles country.


The way Caliban (Prospero’s servant, a native to the island in which the story took place) describes the beauty of the island in Act 3 Scene 2 fits well the noisy (boisterous) and festive British Isles at this time. (pay particular attention to the first two lines).

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked.
I cried to dream again.

The lines were uttered by Kenneth Branagh, the noted Northern Ireland Shakespearean actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment