Sunday, January 1, 2017

Why I am switching from Print Book Reading to eReading?

In a NY Times Book Review (12/15/16), it takes the form of interviewing with the author, Steve Johnson.  One of the questions is:

Do you like reading on paper or electronic?
I always prefer electronic when I am doing research because I have an elaborate system that I’ve been tinkering with over the years for digitally capturing and storing important quotes from anything I read. There are a number of studies showing that readers have better recall when they read in print, but the problem with print is that it’s not searchable. On my computer today, I can find quotes from books that I read almost 20 years ago in a matter of seconds. And those searches are constantly surprising me with interesting connections or long-forgotten threads.

I wrote the following on a post talking about print books and eBooks at Sermo [a physician-only online site] on 2/21/11,

“Browsing in the libraries or bookstores or holding a book in hands is a joy in life, and that is why I am still resisting eReaders. But, I know in the bottom of my heart, its onslaught is inexorable and irresistible; for me to fall for it is when, not if. Rumor had it that my daughters are conspiring to get me an eReader whether I like it or not. They’re confident that I may hook on NOOKcolor, or the Kindle and may kindle my interest of reading other stuff; but my eyes are on iPad; more versatile, . . . .”

That was 2011, now more than half of my book readings are digital (laptops, iPads, Kindle Fire HD 6 and 8, iPhone, iMac, etc.)  The main reason of switching over is exactly like what Steve Johnson said, “I have an elaborate system that I’ve been tinkering with over the years for digitally capturing and storing important quotes from anything I read.

I myself do have an elaborate system, using FileMaker file.  I constantly look for a better way so I can retrieve the info (data) I store at a click years from now.  One of the Christmas “loots” I got from the family is a Classic Quotes tote of “I cannot live without books” (by Thomas Jefferson).  Shall I say “I cannot live without FileMaker”?

While writing a letter-to-the-editor in 2010, I wanted to use a quote from Mark Twain that I recall reading it in a book about American language by H.L. Mencken 20-30 years ago.  I had to check the book out from Waynesburg University and spent more time locating the quote than that I wrote the letter.  If it were stored in my FileMaker file, I could get it at a click.

No comments:

Post a Comment