The house in which I grew up in Xia-Tan (下潭) had no running
water, so we had to fetch water either from the water pump or the well next to
it, located in the elemental school (the only school in the village) across the
road.
I reminisced about my childhood story with the family during
the holidays in Michigan. When talking
about fetching the water from well, I vividly remember the trick of twisting or
jerking the bucket when it reached the bottom of the well, so that it could turn
and sink into water; I was very proud of the skill.
While reading Lin-Yutang’s “From Pagan to Christian”, I came across this passage, in which he obviously
had the same experience and even called this skill an “art”.
“We
were a family of six brothers and two sisters, and we boys used to take turns
drawing water from the family well.
There was fun in learning the art of swinging the bucket when it reached
the bottom of the well so that it would overturn and catch the water.”
I recall there was a water pump in front of Janice’s dorm in
the Harvard Yard. It brought back the
memory of my childhood when I first saw it.
My left thumb was once partially crushed operating the pump. The water pump was kept it in the Yard for “historical”
reason; like Lin Yutang, I must have lived through the history.
Many years ago on our visit to Taiwan, I did bring Jo and Sean
to see that house in the village; I regret not to bring them to demonstrate the
skill/art of fetching water from the well.
We moved from Xia-Tan (下潭)
to Po-Tzu (朴子) half way through my fifth grade, I wrote a
story about this in 2007.

No comments:
Post a Comment