Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A designed garden: Diversity and variety is the key

Walking into the garden, one will be greeted by a sea of flowers, but mostly celosia.  Colorful though it may be, this is not what I envisioned or designed at the beginning of the season.  Almost all the celosias are “volunteers” coming back on their own.  They gradually took over, dominating whatever I planted nearby, the likes of petunia, salvia, or even marigold, most of which have since faded away.  One may imitate nature, but cannot compete or beat nature.

Like many things in life, diversity and variety of a garden is key to success, enhancing the overall survival or avoiding the total failure.  Variety also adds to beauty.  America’s strength lies in her diverse populations.  I wrote a very short letter-to-the-editor, extolling the virtue of diversity two years ago.


Come to think about it, variety is also key to good English writing, or Chinese writing or any language for that matter.  It is difficult to illustrate or expound my point without giving the actual examples; that is not the scope of this writing.

I am showing several photos of celosia, variety of colors makes it all the more captivating and appealing, or more photogenic if you will.








Petunia of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment