Friday, July 3, 2015

Viral hepatitis series: The viral replication, and viral replication only, is the thing

Dr. Liang asked me to give a talk about viral hepatitis at Taiwanese Bible Study last Saturday.  It is a timely talk on account of the recent dramatic success of treating hepatitis C with the direct anti-viral drugs, as Dr. Dienstag (of MGH) claimed “hepatitis C is the only chronic viral infection that can be cured.”  The hepatitis B treatment over the past 10 years is less impressive but certainly not far behind; good news is not lacking.
Katy sent a dispatch to World Journal reporting my talk of viral hepatitis
And of course, the topic was chosen because of the high prevalence of hepatitis B in Taiwan for which Taiwan cannot claim as a “developed” country.  We should take pride in the great contribution of Taiwanese medical profession to the understanding of viral hepatitis and the success of its treatment.

I’ll write a series of articles to cover this complex topic, each with a theme.

Oscar Wilde said “The play, and play only, is the thing”, and I say “The viral replication, and viral replication only, is the thing.”  I cannot over emphasize the importance of viral replication and its implication.

How hepatitis B virus (HBV) or hepatitis C virus (HCV) replicates
All viruses are either DNA or RNA wrapped inside a protein coat.  Once getting into liver cell, the virus removes its protein coat and enters the nucleus, integrating into host DNA, it is a covalent bond—a stronger chemical bond.  No wonder Dr. Baruch Blumberg (who discovered Australia antigen, was later identified as HBsAg) said “We have met the enemy and he is us.” The virus then takes over the “manufacture machinery”, making their own stuff; repackaged and new virion is released from cell.

We can measure the total number of virus in blood by doing a quantitative HBV DNA by PCR (for hepatitis B) or HCV RNA by PCR (for hepatitis C).  High numbers of virus is a reliable marker of active viral replication.

I’ll devote one article to the serology of hepatitis B.  Once the hepatitis B virus invades us, the liver cells mount an immune response, a defense, so to speak.  The foreign invaders, virus, whose various components that can trigger an immune response are called antigens: hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), core antigen (HBcAg) and e antigen (HBeAg).  Having e antigen in the blood signifies active viral replication.

Of all things about hepatitis B or C virus infection, viral replication is the one matters most, everything else is the consequence of it.  Let’s talk about a few things to make a point.

The consequence of active viral replication
Pregnant mother with positive e antigen, active viral replication that is, has 90-95% chance of passing along the virus to the infant, whereas only 30% of the infants infected with the virus if the mother has no HBeAg in the blood.

Chronic hepatitis B patients with positive HBeAg tend to have disease progression, leading to cirrhosis of liver and have higher risk for hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).  Viral replication is the driver for liver injury.

Suppressing viral replication changes the natural history of the disease.  Active viral replication is the main indication of treatment and the goal of treatment is to achieve the sustained viral suppression; call it “cure” if you will.  So the loss of HBeAg or seroconversion (loss of HBeAg and appearance of Hepatitis B e antibody) is a wonderful thing and may be safe to discontinue therapy.

One may not fully recover from hepatitis B by having positive HBsAg (without HBs antibody) and positive HBc antibody, which indicates infection of HBV.  But one can be an inactive carrier, which is defined as no active or progressive liver disease, the liver function should be normal and hepatitis B e antigen should be negative with no active viral replication and hepatitis B e antibody positive.

15 comments:

  1. My name is juliet comfort, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at: dralilaspellcaster@gmail.com OR contact his number:+2348039108803 or 08124943619


    DOCTOR alila CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Arthritis
    6. Shingles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all my viewers, i,m Jewell Lester this my testimony on how i get cure of my Hepatitis disease with the help of DR james,i have being suffering for this disease for a very long time now. I have try several means to get rid of the (Hepatitis disease) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday. This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man DR DR james and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to DR Seunkam telling him about my (Hepatitis disease) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm I never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that I am cured, after some time I went to my doctor to confirmed if I have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email DR Seunkam on sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends and to share this to every one that have any of this sickness. i will advice anyone out there who has any of theses disease to kindly email Dr Seunkam( dralmightyspellhome@gmail.com or whatsapp+2347051758952 him for your own helpp just in case you need his help
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com..........he also specialize on the following things

    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES,Greetings to the general public, i want to tell the world about @drokiti7, How i was cured of HERPES disease by a Doctor called @drokiti7, i wasbrowsing through the Internet searching for cure on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how @drokiti7 cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i decided to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of this VIRUS. so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, now i'm a free person now without sickness, my HERPES TEST result came out NEGATIVE. I pray for you @drokiti7, God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. I'm so happy.  You can also contact him if you have any problem via Email:drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com, or whatsApp him on this number +2347050670365. HE ALSO CURES OTHER DISEASES LIKE (1).HERPES CURE(2).ALS (3).HEPATITIS B(4).HIV/AIDS CURE(5).HPV CURE(6).SPIRITUAL HEALINGS(7).CANCER (8).ASTHMA(9).DIABETES

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to use this golden opportunity to say thanks to Chief Dr Wealthy for curing my ( DIABETES VIRUS) with his Herbal Medicine. i have being suffering from DIABETES Virus for 5 years now,and since then was using drug over which keep me till today,but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a lady who was cured for DIABETES by Chief Dr Wealthy so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact him via email: wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Chief Dr Wealthy have cure for any types of disease blows, call or Whats App +2348105150446.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to Dr. Iyabiye who cured me of Hepatitis B with his herbal medicine, I fell sick September 2019 with symptoms like: ribs pain, dark urine, headache and lost of appetite. I when to hospital and discovered that it was chronic hepatitis. I was given some antiviral drugs to slow it down the viral load so that my liver will not be damaged, but the drugs wasn’t working after sometime and my stomach stated swollen. I came arose his recommendation online while I was searching for help hence the hospital couldn’t help anymore, he administer his medication on me and I was cured after taken the medication. If interested reach him through: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com phone +234-815-857-7300

    ReplyDelete
  14. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to share a testimony of how Dr LATIFAH herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.latifah herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact maamtifah@gmail.com or call or what-apps him through +27785167256. . .he also specialize on the following things

    BREAST ENLARGEMENT
    BREAST LIFT & REDUCTION
    PENILE/PENIS ENLARGEMENT
    GENERAL BODY SLIMMING
    HIPS & THIGH REDUCTION
    REGAIN VIRGINITY BACK
    Thanks for the Enlarging my penis sir, you indeed save my marriage...I am really grateful sir,

    ReplyDelete