Monday, July 6, 2015

Viral hepatitis: Questions and Answers

I will conduct a session of questions and answers:

Question 1
True story: A couple from Taiwan came to visit their son (who is a physician) and his family in the States.  The daughter-in-law wouldn’t allow them to eat in the same table, lest they would pass along the HBV to her children and herself, as they apparently had “hepatitis B”.  Do you think this daughter-in-law did the right thing to protect her family?

Answer
We do not know the serology status of the parents’ serology, but assume for the worst scenario that they had positive HBsAg and HBeAg with no antibodies, which means they had active viral replication with high infectivity.  The mode of transmission of hepatitis B is through blood/body fluid (viruses are present in blood, saliva, and semen), not the fecal-oral route.  It is perfectly safe to sit down to share the same dish in the same table.

The parents needed education that they cannot share tooth brushes or shaving equipment with others; they need to know how to handle the open wounds.  It is not necessary to have separate plates or cups but if the daughter-in-law so insisted, then it is OK to do so to please her.  Sometime I wonder would she do the same if it were her own parents. 

If one family member has chronic hepatitis B, then the rest of the family members need to take hepatitis B vaccine unless they already have HBs antibody.

Question 2
Rumor had it that the chef in one of your favorite restaurants has hepatitis B, shall you stop patronize the restaurant?

Answer
I am not aware any state law prohibits one with chronic hepatitis B or C to work in a restaurant as there was no evidence that one can get hepatitis B or C from a food handler without direct blood-to-blood contact.  The same is also true that a surgeon with chronic hepatitis B should be allowed to operate.

One may argue that the chef may be tasting the food and put it back to the pan while cooking, I certainly hope no chef (with or without hepatitis B) has this kind of practice.

Question 3
Is hepatitis B a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?

Answer
Yes, hepatitis B virus (HBV) is much more easily transmitted sexually than HIV or hepatitis C virus (HCV).

Although HCV is not efficiently transmitted sexually, the chance is not zero; it can happen, especially among HIV-infected persons.

Mode of transmission for hepatitis B in developed countries, such as USA, is IV drug use, STD and needle sticks, etc., whereas vertical transmission from mother to infant is the predominant way in Asia, including Taiwan.  Let’s not forget some got it from acupuncture.

Blood transfusion has been safe from hepatitis C in USA since 1992 when the test to detect HCV was developed.

Question 4
Vertical transmission: How the pregnant mother passes along the virus to the infant?

Answer
One may assume that HBV was passed from mother to the baby/fetus via placenta; wrong! That was not the case.  Observation has shown that it occurs during the child birth when mother’s body fluid comes in contact with infant’s mucosal membrane.  One study from China says only 3.7% was transmitted in uterus.

The high protective efficacy (95%) when the infant was given vaccine upon birth proves this is the case, if the fetus was infected while still in uterus, then the vaccination upon birth wouldn’t work as well.

Question 5
Why hepatitis A was not covered in your talk?

Answer
There is no such a thing as chronic hepatitis A.  The great majority fully recovered.  That is not to say we don’t have to take hepatitis A seriously.  Fulminant hepatitis A can be fatal, and the incidence of which seemed to be climbing for unknown reason over the past decade or two.

Infection by hepatitis virus triggers an immune response in our body.  When the immune response gets out of hand the killer T lymphocytes attack and destroy the infected liver cells.  Too much immune response is not necessary a good thing.  It is not due to the more virulent virus.

Question  6
What’s diabetes got to do with hepatitis B?
Answer
There were 29 outbreaks of hepatitis B in long-term care facilities in the States from 1996 to 2011, of these 25 involved adults with diabetes receiving assisted blood sugar monitoring.  This prompted Advisory Committee for Immunization Practice (ACIP—part of CDC) to investigate the risk of diabetics getting hepatitis B.
This led to ACIP recommendations in October 2011 that “hepatitis B vaccine should be given to adults with diabetes who are aged 19 through 59 years whether they live in a long-term facility or not.”
The data (of how susceptible ones with diabetes to hepatitis B) for those who are diabetics and are aged ≥60 years is less evident and the vaccination decision is at the discretion of the treating clinician.
Primary hepatitis B infections become chronic more frequently in immunosuppressed persons, such as hemodialysis patients and persons with HIV and diabetes.

(more questions to come!)

10 comments:

  1. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com..........he also specialize on the following things

    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES,Greetings to the general public, i want to tell the world about @drokiti7, How i was cured of HERPES disease by a Doctor called @drokiti7, i wasbrowsing through the Internet searching for cure on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how @drokiti7 cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i decided to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of this VIRUS. so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, now i'm a free person now without sickness, my HERPES TEST result came out NEGATIVE. I pray for you @drokiti7, God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. I'm so happy.  You can also contact him if you have any problem via Email:drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com, or whatsApp him on this number +2347050670365. HE ALSO CURES OTHER DISEASES LIKE (1).HERPES CURE(2).ALS (3).HEPATITIS B(4).HIV/AIDS CURE(5).HPV CURE(6).SPIRITUAL HEALINGS(7).CANCER (8).ASTHMA(9).DIABETES

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to use this golden opportunity to say thanks to Chief Dr Wealthy for curing my ( DIABETES VIRUS) with his Herbal Medicine. i have being suffering from DIABETES Virus for 5 years now,and since then was using drug over which keep me till today,but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a lady who was cured for DIABETES by Chief Dr Wealthy so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact him via email: wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Chief Dr Wealthy have cure for any types of disease blows, call or Whats App +2348105150446.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I contracted hpv' i was told there is no hpv cure except treatment to control it, i totally lost of hope all i could think loosing my life because it was so embarrass for been hpv patient. some weeks ago i read possible natural cure which was guarantee And I ordered the treatment after one week i got 100% cure. I'm so excited to shear this testimony to every article for others living with hpv there is possible natural treatment to eliminate the virus email Dr Onokun, his herbal clinic address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete