Friday, November 7, 2014

The belated Medal of Honor award and the two half-sisters in Westminster Abbey


Alonzo Cushing
Yesterday (Nov. 6), President Obama awarded the Medal of Honor, posthumously, to Brevet Major Alonzo Cushing (a West Point graduate), 4th United States Artillery, for actions against the enemy while defending the Union position on Cemetery Ridge [of Gettysburg] against Pickett's Charge, July 3rd , 1863.

As President Obama said “it is never too late to do the right thing.”

The Medal of Honor was created during the Civil War; this savage war was fought among brothers.  It may not be a bad idea to honor the valor of the soldiers in Confederacy Army, although the South did have equivalent Southern Cross of Honor then.
 
While touring Westminster Abbey I read a quote in the tomb of Mary I and Elizabeth I; these two antagonistic half-sisters were buried together for a purpose.
 
“Remember before God all those who divided at the Reformation by different convictions laid down their lives for Christ and conscience' sake
 
Elizabeth I and Mary I's grave
If one knows the stories of these two half-sisters; the quote will make more sense.  It is beyond the scope of this post.
 
Shall we say “Remember before God all those who divided at the Civil War by different convictions laid down their lives for Union and Confederacy' sake”?
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment