Sunday, November 9, 2014

My short letter-to-the-editor on books


I got another short letter-to-the-editor published in the Observer-Reporter today.  I commented on an article about the Great Books [of the Western World] that was published by Encyclopaedia Britannica in 1950s; the idea came from University of Chicago.

I basically said the reading should be a “balanced” one, just like the best science is the one that integrates across various fields of science.

I do not do travel reading often, but traveling leads to more reading in my case.  After coming back from London and Paris I am reading more about French Revolution, the one by Thomas Carlyle is the preferred one.  How can one not read Jean-Jacques Rousseau or Voltaire if one wants to understand French Revolution?


Seeing the house of Lady Ottoline Morrell in London reignites my interest in reading the writers of Bloomsbury Group; I am now focusing on D.H. Lawrence and Lytton Strachey, whose “Eminent Victorians” and “Queen Victoria” are free iBooks or Kindle Books that one can download, so are Thomas Carlyle’s “The French Revolution” or D.H. Lawrence’s “Lady Chatterley’s Lover”.




No comments:

Post a Comment