Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dahlias come to our garden

Emily Dickinson called her poems “Blossoms of the Brain”; reading her poems and letters is the exercise of my brain; a fitness of the mind.  Trying to be true Dickinsonian gardeners, we opt to have her flowers in our garden.  I read (in Judith Farr’s “The Gardens of Emily Dickinson”, “If she [Emily] went to back windows of the mansion, she could measure the fences that all but ran, she thought, in the morning’s brilliance, the spring daffodils, and, later, the dahlias, lilies, and sweet peas of her summer garden.

So dahlias were in Emily’s garden and have found their way to ours.  We plant them in the rose garden, adding the vibrant colors to it before we see the splendor of roses.  I am hoping the roses are not feeling threatened; I think they welcome healthy competition.  Being the Queen of Flowers, the rose cannot be intimidated by any.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment