This YouTube of Brahms Symphony No. 1 by Karajan is my favorite, the screen shows Karajan in action almost entire 40 some minutes. His actions match the music seamlessly with amazing precision. It never fails. If you do not see the orchestra, you’ll believe in me when I say that the music comes from his baton, nay, his magic wand.
Brahms: Symphony No.1 in C Minor, Op.68 (Herbert von Karajan)
![]() |
| Herbert van Karajan |
Karajan tends to conduct with his eyes closing, but I am sure that each and every one in the orchestra knows he is watching over them.
![]() |
| Seiji Ozawa |
Seiji Ozawa said it is not how you use the baton in performance, but how you use the baton in rehearsals, that makes a difference. This gives out the answer. The magic of music created by conductor and orchestra comes from endless rehearsals.
![]() |
| Leonard Bernstein |
Both Karajan and Bernstein were teachers of Seiji Ozawa, who said he tried not to mimic or imitate the two maestros, but I see Karajan and Bernstein in him. I also put the YouTubes of Bernstein and Ozawa conducting Brahms Symphony No. 1 here, so you can compare and contrast.
Brahms - Symphony No.1 mvt.Ⅰ,Ⅱ&Ⅳ - Leonard Bernstein
Brahms Symphony 1 C Minor op 68 Seiji Ozawa Saito kinen Orchestra Symphony No 1 in C minor
Seiji Ozawa was so successful as conductor for so many symphony orchestras, including Toronto, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston (29 years), I believe he was also at Vienna State Opera. Yet he said “I was able to communicate with orchestras and convey to them what I wanted them to do——even though I could hardly speak their language.”
Music indeed speaks international language.
I better not to talk about Brahms Symphony no 1, in the interest of the length of article, that should be another post. But, is there anything else new to say about it?



No comments:
Post a Comment