Sunday, April 14, 2019

Magnolia in glory

The fringe benefit of our chasing cherry blossom trip at Washington DC and Chevy Chase, MD in early April is that we saw countless pansy flourishing in relative cold, heralding the arrival of spring, and many magnolias in glory.


rough and tough carpels
Dick Figlar said of magnolia, “the flower, the shape, the scent, the leaves, if you wanted to invent the perfect tree, you’d have to work pretty dam hard to make a better one.” Being the president of Magnolia Society International, Mr. Figlar could be biased. But magnolia has been around for 95 million years (one NY Times article said 65 million years); it evolved before bees appeared on Earth; so it evolved to adapt to the beetles as pollinators. One can see and feel the rough and tough carpels (see photo above) that can stand the crawling beetles.


My evolutionary theory is that a chanced mutation leading to a hardened carpel that can stand the beetles and thus survived and thrived, propagating the magnolia trees with the same characteristics. It is safe to say that a species surviving 95 million years has successfully gone through many evolutionary changes to adapt.

magnolia in glory in our backyard


magnolia in glory in our backyard


Shortly after our returning from DC, the magnolia in our backyard close to our garden began to bloom (see photos). Katy said there is a fragrance coming from magnolia flowers, I initially thought she was too imaginative, but staying closer I did smell a lemony scent.

It is good timing to talk about the Magnolia Lane in the Augusta National Golf Club in face of Tiger. Woods’ unbelievable storied comeback as a “Masters” in the green jacket today. This triumphal come-from-behind win took place at Augusta National, Georgia, where it boasts sixty huge magnolia trees at its entrance. Magnolia is also the state flower of Mississippi.


Magnolia Lane at Augusta National Golf Club
Magnolia is the symbol of the South. One can see a magnolia wreath was placed at the foot of a statue of Strom Turnmond, the late senator from South Carolina.

A New York Times article wrote, “magnolia may be best known as the sultry backdrops of Faulkner stories,” I cannot elaborate as I never read William Faulkner. About 15 years ago, after reading his Nobel speech, I was very impressed, I picked up Faulkner’s, but had to put it down as it was too difficult for me. I may try his The Sound and the Fury or As I lay dying one of these days, so I may know why this most famous Southern writer is called Magnolia Master.















1 comment:

  1. I contacted Dr Ikhide via his E-mail ikhidespecial@gmail.com
    Its a miracle that I am alive today. I encounter HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV1/2) for good four (4) years, six (6) months and twelve (12) day with my calculations, before I meet the great Dr Ikhide I am  from Fresno California, united state of America and I was affected with herpes virus. Herpes is a viral infection cause by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blister in the skin or mucous membrane or on the genitals. This was what I suffered for good four years. I have visited CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for treatment but no improvement. I meet Dr Ikhide online while I was searching for herpes cure I read a testimony about his work. I give a try that now becomes a testimony in my life. I contacted Dr Ikhide via his E-mail ikhidespecial@gmail.com and he did not responds to me in time and I went back to the same testimony for his mobile number and I called him immediately  +1(267)527-9481  And he respond to my call. He welcome me as a daughter and I explain my four years situation to him and he said is done just as I have contacted him and I believed in him. Dr Ikhide sends me some herbal medication for herpes cure and he gave me instruction on what to do and I obeyed his instruction. Changes started after three days of applying the herbal medication. I went to the same CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for test and i was herpes negative. I do not know how to thanks Dr Ikhide for saving my life. To God be the Glory, I am living healthy with my family today.Indeed, Dr Ikhide is a great man WhatsApp him now +1(267)527-9481 God bless Dr Ikhide for his good work...   

    ReplyDelete