![]() |
| Lu Xun |
Growing
up in Taiwan, one will not have a chance to read the literary work of a great
Chinese writer, Lu Xun (魯迅), whose work was banned for he
was considered a leftist communist and was greatly admired by Mao Zedong who
said of Lu Xun, “'On
the cultural front, he was the bravest and most correct, the firmest, the most
loyal and the most ardent national hero, a hero without parallel in our history.'”. However he never joined Communist Party.
It is
true that he was a powerful critic of Chiang Kai-Shek regime; he would give Mao
Zedong a great deal of headache had he lived under Communist regime. He died in
1936 and the Communist took over the government in 1949. He was simply a
liberal dissident by heart.
There was
an article in NY Times (8/19/1990) “China’s
greatest dissident writer”, in which it said, “the [Communist] party adopted Lu
Xun because he opposed tyranny, and so now it would a bit awkward to ban him
for the same reason.”
![]() |
| The million dollar letter |
In 2013 a
letter of Lu Xun, written on June 8, 1934, to a publisher who asked him about
learning Japanese. The letter was auctioned off for more than one million US dollars. It is a short letter with only three paragraphs. The
following is the second paragraph:
學日本文要到能夠看小説,且非一知半解,所需的時間和力氣, 我覺得並不亞於學一種歐洲文字,然而歐洲有大作品。 先生何不將預備學日文的力氣,學一種西文呢?
The time and effort needed to learn Japanese to the point that you
can read a novel — and not just half-understand it –would be no less, I think,
than to master a European language. And there are great European works. Why
don’t you, sir, use the energy that would be spent learning Japanese to learn a
Western language instead? (The translation is
from an article in NY Times.)
It just
happened that I shared Lu Xun’s view and has been actually doing it for forty
some years.
In the early years when I first came to the States reading
Lincoln and Churchill led me to discover the beauty of English language, and
subsequently the great work in English in science as well as in
humanity/literature/history.
I had to learn English well enough to read and enjoy the
English literary work. Without a school to attend and without a teacher
to learn, I tried to select books that most likely can improve my command of
English. I tried to read the books Lincoln and Churchill read, not that I
have their faculty. I also constantly
look for scientists who write well, the list of which is getting long.
Growing up in Taiwan I was aware of the perception of many
adults that if one will pursue a career in science, one doesn’t have to be good
in language. I later found out myself that nothing could be further from
the truth. American educators got it right; recall the National Merit
Scholarship has the verbal score doubled in the PSAT.
So Lu Xun was correct that there are great European works;
he was talking about literary work, but there are great works in science and
medicine, too. Or he might be also talking about science/medicine as he
studied medicine in Japan in early 1900s. He also mastered the language
of German and Japanese.


No comments:
Post a Comment