Wednesday, April 8, 2015

If you want to borrow ebooks, place a hold and wait

To borrow ebook is easy, just a click away.  Or so I thought.  Each ebook the library purchased can only be borrowed by one person at a given time, just like the print book.  It is less competitive to check out the print books as fewer people would take the trouble going to the library. 

One can check out 10 books and place a hold on another 10 books.  One can click and check out 10 books in no time at the comfort of one’s home.  No wonder most of the books I want are not available. 

I am No. 3 for one copy of Flirting with French; that would be 6 to 9 weeks wait.  I will wait as long for Elie Wiesel’s Night (No. 6 for 2 copies).  Carnegie Library has 17 copies of Being Mortal by Atul Gawanda, but I am the No. 31.

Having read Atul Gawanda’s Better, Complications and The Checklist Manifesto, I just have to read his Being Mortal.  Dr. Gawanda did have a thing or two to say about medicine.   I recall Janice gave me the book Better some years ago.  I should be the one brought to her attention for book like this, not the other way around.  The cover of The Checklist Manifesto looks like from Nike.

The solution of this problem is to limit the number of borrowed books to five at any given time.  Or even three if I have my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment