Over the years I only read books written by American and British authors; Janice kept assuring me that the translation versions of great novels are as good as the original English ones. Based on reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment (still an ongoing ‘open book’ for me) and Marquez’s Love in the Time of Cholera, I think Janice is right.
A New York Times article says “he read intensely — the Americans Hemingway, Faulkner, Twain and Melville; the Europeans Dickens, Tolstoy, Proust, Kafka and Virginia Woolf.” But Márquez once said, “I’ve never tried to imitate authors I’ve admired. On the contrary, I’ve done all I could not to imitate them.” This may be why he is an original in perfecting the “magic realism” style. It is safe to say that he has the caliber of the likes of Dickens, Tolstoy and Hemingway.
He was politically left-winged; a good friend of Fidel Castro, who may be a lesser of two evils comparing with the Latin America’s dictators, such as General Augusto Pinochet of Chile.


Can't say much about the book as of now. Recieved the book just the day before tomorrow. AS usual, Flipkart's service was absolutely swift and user-friendly. Can say this much though, Its gonna be a tale of limitless passion and joyful love, love which is as pure as a newborn's mind. I would recommend this book to anyone. Specially to those readers who like to read literature, and relish its meaning at the same time.
ReplyDelete