Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Kindle edition eBook, iBook and the “cloud”

I purchased a Kindle edition eBook (“The Missing Manual of FileMaker Pro 12”) online, downloaded to my iPad mini initially.  I asked Janice as to how to read it in my Kindle Fire or Dell laptop; she asked me to look for the “cloud”, it should be there waiting to be downloaded.  I went to Dell laptop and  there it is; there is indeed a “cloud” on my desktop; except it was the omnipresent weather report/forecast  (see photo).

I found the “Cloud” in my Kindle Fire and downloaded it.  I also found the Kindle app (see photo)  in the Dell laptop and downloaded it.

I initially couldn’t find the “Missing Manual” in my iPad 2, then I realized I was looking at the iBook library, little did I know it was sitting in the Kindle book library.

I’ll also put it in the iMac and iPhone 5s, so I can read the “Missing Manual” in six different devices; I feel like buying six copies of the same book, paying one price.


I am practically reading eBook (Amazon Kindle edition) and iBook (Apple Store) everyday, even though I still like having a book in hand—an “old flame” I wouldn’t give it up.  The feature of being able to read across various devices may put the eBook/iBook in the upper hand for the battle of reading eBook/iBook and reading the print ones, I am afraid.


If money is not the issue, doing both for the same book would be having the best of the two worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment