“It was New Year Day afternoon when the Secretary of State, Seward, and his
son brought the draft for Lincoln to sign, Lincoln said, “I never, in my life,
felt more certain that I was doing right, than I do in signing this paper. But I have been receiving calls and shaking
hands since nice o’clock this morning, till my arm is stiff and numb. Now this signature is one that will be closely
examined, and if they find my hand trembled they will say, ‘he had some
compunctions.’ But, anyway, it is going to be done.” (From Carl Sandburg’s Abraham Lincoln.)
If Lincoln had his way, he would demolish the slavery
institution the day he took the Presidency. If FDR had his way, America would enter the war at least one year and
half before the Pearl
Harbor attack and
war would end earlier and less Americans would die.
How Lincoln handled the slavery issue and how FDR
managed the public sentiment of isolationism and appeasement toward Hitler’s
Nazi revealed their political skill and savvy.
My letter-to-the-editor of “Abe Lincoln was not an abolitionist” touches
this topic,
I’ll write a post telling why FDR hated Charles Lindbergh and Joseph
Kennedy (JFK’s father).

No comments:
Post a Comment