Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tulips: surviving frost again and again

The first 3 photos were taken in the early morning of April 12 showing the delicate tulips under the frost assault for the third time in their short life.  Once the sun came out they came back alive in the early afternoon, just like nothing ever happened.  I wonder what happened at the molecular level; I am afraid that each frost may take its toll.

Life is basically the same regardless animals or plants.  As a doctor I see a type of kidney failure (so-called pre-renal failure) that is precipitated by dehydration/hypovolemia.  If the degree and duration of dehydration is not too bad or too long, and with appropriate intervention, one does not go on to develop acute renal failure/acute kidney injury.

Our tulips recovered without a scathe, thanks to the overnight frost that was quickly followed by the benignant sun.  If the spell of freezing frost continues, say, for a few days, then they may succumb like we may develop acute kidney failure upon prolonged dehydration. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment