Wall Street Journal (WSJ) began to have a weekly column of “Week in Words” of late; one of the words on the list of the weekend of January 21 was “quark” (see photo right).
I knew it came from the physicist Murray Gell-Mann who is also an acclaimed linguist and can read and speak many (at least 6 or 7) languages. His 1969 Nobel Lecture is somehow not available on the nobel.com site, but one can listen an interview that took place in 2001, in which he did say it came from James Joyce’s “Finnegan’s Wake”. Watch this interview video, you’ll know why he is on my list of Renaissance men/women in science.
http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=386
A letter-to-editor at WSJ today (January 30, see photo below) prompted me to write this post. I often said letter-to-editor at times outdid the original article it comments, and this is an example.
![]() |
| Murray Gell-Mann |
Many years ago Janice brought to my attention of Alan Lightman’s “The Discoveries”; I spotted it at Half Price Books a year or two ago and gladly paid $9.98 for the hard-cover book, quite a bargain. The Chapter 21 is “Quarks: A tiniest essence of matter”. I better not go there lest this post would be too dry and unreadable.


No comments:
Post a Comment