Sunday, August 21, 2011

The spirit of Yosemite

We went to California to attend a wedding at a famous Napa winery last week and then took a quick trip to Yosemite National Park for a brief one-day visit (actually two half days).

John Muir is synonymous to Yosemite. I’ll try to use his words to describe the scenery and the spirit of Yosemite. It will take time to find his words to match our photos. Here are just a few of his writings.

“The Mountains are calling me and I must go.” so did we.

“I often wonder what men will do with the mountains . . . will human destructions like those of Nature—fire and flood and avalanche—work out a higher good , a finer beauty?”—I personally doubt it.


“The Dome . . . would hardly be more ‘conquered’ or spoiled should man be added to her list of visitors. His louder scream and heavier scrambling would not stir a line of her countenance.” (John Muir spoke of the Half Dome)  Steve Jobs got married in Yosemite; his wedding cake came in the shape of Half Dome.

“Doubly happy . . . is the man to whom lofty mountain tops are within reach, for the lights that shine there illumine all that lies below.”



No comments:

Post a Comment