Sunday, June 5, 2011

Peony: the oriental beauty that was nelected by Emily Dickinson

These photos are the peony blossom in our garden and around the house.  Emily Dickinson definitely had peony in her garden, but peony is no where to be found in any of her over 1,700 poems.  In her letter to Louise Norcross, she wrote “Tell Vinnie [Emily’s sister] I counted three peony noses, red as Sammie Mathew’s, just out of the ground.” (‘nose’ is the projecting end of the peony).
It is hard to understand why such an exuberant and luxurious flowers with entrancing fragrance was not exulted and immortalized in her poems.  Some speculate that peony is just too rich and opulent for her (recall Chinese call peony富貴花).

My theory is that peony (牡丹花) is traditionally an oriental flower, it is actually China’s National Flower.  Although it had been introduced to New England (she spent all her life in Amherst, MA) area in her time, it might still be treated as a “foreign” flower then.


No need to lament: whatever not done by Emily, it was accomplished by Chinese poets over one thousand years ago.  I dare not to translate as I cannot do it without spoiling the beauty of the language.

惜牡丹花  (Peony lamentation)—by 白居易 (Bai Juyi)

惆怅階前红牡丹
晚來唯有两枝殘                   
明朝風起應吹盡                   
夜惜衰红把火看

賞牡丹 (Peony Admiration)
by 李正封(Li Zheng Feng, Tang Dynasty)

國色朝酣酒﹐天香夜染衣。

賞牡丹 (Peony Admiration)
By 劉禹錫 (Liu Yuxi, Tang Dynasty 772-842)

庭前芍藥妖無格﹐池上芙蕖淨少情。
唯有牡丹真國色﹐花開時節動京城。


1 comment:

  1. Makes me wish I read Chinese ... but alas, I don't.

    ReplyDelete