I had a post using the irises from our garden to pay tribute to George Washington just like Churchill did on the New Year Day of 1942. Katy said the kind of irises used to make the wreath is not the kind I showed in the post. The photo of Churchill’s wreath is black and white; it is hard to see the details. But, I usually take Katy’s words when it comes to the flowering talk. She said it is usually either Siberian or Japanese irises that are used to make the wreath. No need to worry, we do also have Siberian or Japanese irises in our garden (see photos).陳姿蓉 中國 有一種說法, irises在端午節前可以防蛇,過了端午,天氣變熱,
陳姿蓉 法國以黃色iris (yellow flag) 作為王室的象徵 查理五世(1294-1328)是第一位把它作為旗幟圖
Jer-Yuan Tsai It is of interest to know that “purple Iris 代表Our lady in Mourning(悲傷的聖母)”, thank you. As I mentioned in previous post that the wreath Churchill used in George Washington’s tomb was made of irises and chrysanthemums (菊花). Chrysanthemums are symbolic of death and grief in certain countries and are often used for funerals or on grave. However, in the USA, it is often regarded as “cheerful” or “truth” and Emily Dickinson associated chrysanthemums with her sprightly younger sister. Symbolism of flowers is not an exact science; it varies from region to region
No comments:
Post a Comment