While browsing at Carnegie Library online site to look for an eBook
to read, I checked out “Everyday in Tuscany: Season of an
Italian Life,” it turns out to be a cannot-put-it-down eBook.
![]() |
| Caesar and Christ |
Etruscan civilization lives in Roman Empire
Etruria
and Rome fought 14 wars in two centuries and Roman became the ruler
of Italy in 272BC, but Etruscan influence survived in Roman Empire to
the end. Roman
numerals are probably Etruscan, and the name Rome may have come from
Etruscan rumon,
river. The Etruscans gave Roman brutal gladiatorial contests.
Etruscan engineers built walls and sewers of Rome. In fact, for
about one century Etruscans ruled the Roman nation. The
following excerpts are from Durant's Caesar
and Christ.
Greeting
the visitors to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is an
Etruscan chariot with body and wheels of wood, sheathing and tires of
bronze, the high front embossed with figures of considerable grace.
![]() |
| Etruscan Orator |
But
either case there is in these painting so frolicsome and impish
vivacity that makes one wonder how pleasant the life of Etruscan must
have been, if their tombs were so gay.
Love
of music and the dance is one of the gracious aspects of Etruscan
civilization (about 700 BC until assimilated into Roman Republic,
late 4th century BC)
From
the seventh to the fourth centuries BC, it was custom among Roman
aristocrats to send their sons to Etruscan cities for higher
education; there, among other things, they learned geometry,
surveying, and architecture. Roman dress derived from the Etruscan,
or both from a common source.
![]() |
| from Etruscan tomb |
![]() |
| Etruscan Apollo of Veii |
Writing
the pleasure of food, wine, gardens and the “voluptuousness of
Italian life.”
The
author of Every
Day in Tuscany
is Frances Mayes who with her husband (a poet) has lived in Cortona,
Tuscany for 20 some years. She is well known in writing the pleasure
of food, wine, gardens and the “voluptuousness of Italian life.”
Being
an ignoramus as far as wine goes, I still indulge in wine reading.
It may be unfortunate that I enjoy wine reading than I do wine. For
those who can appreciate fine wines, especially Italian ones, may get
more out of this than I do. (The followings are excerpts from "Every Day in Tuscany").
Red
wine in winter works a spell that I don’t fall under in hot
weather. The gorgeous, profound Vino Nobiles, Brunellos, and Super
Tuscans can overwhelm summer food. Though Tuscans almost never order
white wine, even when it’s one hundred degrees, local makers are
undermining that prejudice with some fulsome and spicy whites. I keep
my own stash in summer, especially our winemaker friend Riccardo
Baracchi’s Astore and some of our recent local whites from
D’Alessandro. But when the cold comes down, and in the spirited
autumn weather, our biggest Brunello glasses are on the table every
night, the decanters filled by six for dinner at eight.
Paolo
moves us through his chardonnay, chianti, his two cepparellos (a pure
Sangiovese grape content), and two syrahs. With the chardonnay, we
start with crostini neri, the Tuscan classic made from chicken
livers, and mostarda di peperoni, a condiment of peppers, and a small
cannellini bean salad with sopressata. Because Paolo talks about each
wine in Italian and then in English for the benefit of a sprinkling
of expats, the dinner extends way into the night. Unlike many
tastings I've attended in America, wine flows. Arnaldo doesn’t
limit us to a taste of each wine, but keeps pouring as people ask
questions. By the time we are served the secondo, my attention has
mellowed. I remember a California friend whose mantra was, “They
all taste good to me.”
For
the racy [well used]
chianti, Arnaldo selected
a tasty gnocchi with ragù made from local Chianina beef. The
combination could not be more genuino. I’d like to stand up and
quote Cesare Pavese: “A
gulp of my drink,”
he wrote, “and
my body can taste the life / of plants and of rivers.”
The
fruit torta I pass by, but I do try a sip of the Isole e Olena Vin
Santo, 2000. It tastes like late Thanksgiving afternoon by the fire,
a cashmere throw over my legs, lines of a poem running through my
head. I’d like to make a walnut cake, just to serve with this
smooth elixir. Just as I imagine this vin santo held up to the flames
and sloshed around for the play of toast and topaz colors, I feel a
surge of homesickness for my daughter, my grandson Willie, my writer
neighbors, even for Willie’s goofy labradoodle. Isn’t this the
best response to a wine, that taste provokes a fierce emotion? And
maybe surreal associations? The ginger-curled, bouncing labradoodle
is exactly the color of this elegant vin santo.




No comments:
Post a Comment